Wood apple or bael is a fruit predominantly grown in South Asian countries like India. It has a hard shell with a woody texture outside and orange pulp inside. This fruit is spherical in shape and has a sweet taste and pleasant aroma. The pulp of the fruit can be consumed directly or its juice can be prepared. The pulp of this fruit is extremely nutritious and we will be looking at the health benefits of wood apple.
100 grams of wood apple provides around 150 calories. This fruit is rich in dietary fiber, carbohydrate, fats and protein. Minerals like calcium, phosphorous, iron are present in it. High amount of anti-oxidants like carotene, niacin, thiamine and riboflavin are also present in bael.
High amount of dietary fiber in wood apple or bael makes it a wonder fruit to relieves constipation. Dietary fiber aids in proper digestion and helps in promoting healthy bowel movement. Consume the raw pulp of wood apple for better results.
Bael is helpful against scurvy. Scurvy is a disease wherein the gums swell and bleed. It has been found to prevent this disease primarily due to high Vitamin-C content.
Diabetes can be combated by its intake. Dietary fiver assists in proper disintegration of glucose in the body and maintains proper sugar level in the blood. Proper functioning of pancreas due to the consumption of wood apple results in proper secretion of insulin. This helps in controlling diabetes.
Wards off liver problems
Presence of anti-oxidants like beta-carotene, thiamine and riboflavin in wood apple helps in preventing liver related ailments.
Leaves of wood apple or bael can be consumed to prevent cold and cough. Boil the leaves with water and drink it to get relief from phlegm and sore throat.
Bael is known as an immunity booster because of its high Vitamin-C content. Also, presence of varieties of nutrients in it aid in increasing immunity. It even has anti-microbial properties due to the presence of cuminaldehyde and eugenol.
Feronia gum is a substance found in the trunk and branches of bael. This gum is generally produced after rain and consumption of it can help from dysentery and diarrhea.
Other health benefits of wood apple or bael
- People suffering from piles and peptic ulcer are advised to consume wood apple as it contains tannin which has anti-inflammatory properties.
- It is a natural detoxifier. It is known to purify blood and promote kidney health.
- Hemoglobin can be increased by consuming this fruit or its leaves. It is high in iron which results in increase in red blood cells.
- Juice of bael fruit is highly recommended during summer. It is refreshing and an energy booster. It also has cooling effect and can provide you relief from intense heat.
- Antioxidants in wood apple like carotene help in delaying age relater macular degeneration.