Health Benefits of Soybean
Soybean are edible legumes which are a great source of protein. Soya chunks made from soybean are soft, juicy and provide a lot of nutrients and health benefits. Soybean are used in various dishes as a sauce or main ingredient. It is considered a major source of protein for vegans. Let’s have a look at the various nutritional and health benefits of soybean.
Nutritional Benefits of Soybeans
Soybean is a rich source of energy. Consumption of 100 grams of it provides around 450 calories. It contains protein and soybean oil in large quantity. Dietary fibre is high in soybeans. Besides that, it also provides fats and a lot of minerals.
Soybean reduces Cholesterol and improves Heart Health
Soybean is helpful in reducing the amount of bad cholesterol i.e. LDL cholesterol in the body. Soy protein has been found to have cholesterol lowering effect. They also have low amount of trans and saturated fat which makes it really beneficial for heart patients. It contains lecithin which acts as a natural fat emulsifier. Accumulation of triglycerides and LDL cholesterol is reduced in the blood arteries. Moreover, it increases HDL cholesterol in the body.
Soybean is also rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids like linolenic acid that helps in proper functioning of smooth muscles and regulates blood pressure.
Health Benefits of Soybean – Reduces Diabetes
Soybean is helpful against type-2 diabetes (most common diabetes). It aids in increasing the metabolism and production of insulin in the liver. Insulin helps in regulating body glucose. Equol and diadzein present in soybean helps in sensitising insulin. Thus, addition of soybean in the diet can be really helpful for diabetic patients.
Soybean for Stronger Bones
Soybean is a rich source of calcium. It helps in strengthening the bones and increases bone density. Isoflavones are found in soybean which increases the density of the bone. It has been found to be helpful for women against osteoporosis.
Health Benefits of Soybean – Prevents Cancer
Soybean is a source of phytic acid which acts as an antioxidant and helps in combating cancer. Soybean also contains sphingolipids which helps in the prevention of colon cancer. Soybean is rich in dietary fibre which makes it helpful for digestion and bowel movement. Efficiency in digestion and bowel movement reduces the occurrence of bowel cancer.
Researchers have found that peptides in soy protein are helpful against colon, liver and lung cancer.
Soybean promotes Healthy Digestion
High source of dietary fibre makes soybean helpful in digestion. It helps in preventing constipation and diverticular diseases.
Other Health Benefits Of Soybean
- Consumption of soybean increases immunity. Fatigue and laziness is reduced by it. It is a rich source of minerals like calcium, magnesium, zinc, potassium and phosphorous.
- Soybean contains Lecithin which is helpful for memory. It helps in making the brain cells active and efficient. It has been found to enhance verbal memory and makes frontal lobe efficient.
- Diseases like Alzheimer’s can be prevented by its consumption. It helps in making the tissues and organs strong due to the presence of lecithin.
- Soybean is good for skin. It contains isoflavone which helps in reducing skin pigments and aging.
- Soybean has anti-oxidant properties and helps inhibit free radicals from entering our body.
- Soybean aids in reducing high blood pressure. It is rich in potassium which absorbs the sodium in our body.