Health Benefits of Pineapple
Pineapples are juicy citrus fruits which are a part of the Bromeliaceae family. They are vibrant yellow from inside and have a strong tangy flavor. Pineapples are widely used in many cuisines. They are usually eaten raw, or their juice and milkshake are consumed. Pineapples are popular in various deserts, pies, ice-creams and pizzas. Lets us look at the various nutritional and health benefits of pineapples.
Nutritional Health Benefits of Pineapple
Pineapple is high in nutrition. It is a good source of carbohydrates and dietary fibre. It contains loads of Vitamin-A, Vitamin-C and Vitamin-B. Various minerals like zinc, magnesium, phosphorous, calcium, iron and sodium are also present in it. Pineapple provides only 50 calories for 100 gram of its consumption.
Pineapples aid Digestion
Pineapples, as mentioned earlier, are rich in Vitamin-C. This helps in generating more digestive juices which aids in disintegrating the food particles. Bromelain is a type of enzyme present in pineapple which helps in breaking the protein particles. They are known to act as a neutralizing agent and thus prevent acidity in the stomach. It is advised to eat pineapples when a person is suffering from irritable bowel syndrome and flatulence as it helps in soothing the lining of stomach and intestines.
Pineapples prevent Cold, Cough and Flu
Rich amount of Vitamin-C makes it a potent source to curb cold and flu. Bromelain present in pineapples has cough suppressing properties and can aid in loosening the mucus. Even bronchitis and asthma can be prevented by its consumption due to thinning of mucus and clearing of bronchial tubes. Pineapple along with honey is recommended to a person having sore throat.
Pineapple strengthens Bones
Pineapples contain magnesium which helps in strengthening bones. These minerals help in building the bones and connective tissues. It also contains Vitamin-C which helps in preventing various bone diseases and has anti-inflammatory properties. Calcium content is also quite adequate in pineapple. Thiamine and biotin present in pineapple are also helpful in making bones stronger.
Pineapples are Heart Friendly
Pineapples must be consumed by patients who have heart related diseases. Bromelain is an enzyme present in pineapples which helps in thinning the blood. This aids in easy movement of the blood through the body thus preventing heart strokes and heart attacks.
Pineapple protects against Macular Degeneration
Pineapple contains beta-carotene that helps the retina of the eyes. Researchers have found that consumption of pineapple can significantly reduce the risk of age related macular degeneration.
Other Health Benefits of Pineapple
- Bromelain present in pineapple has anti-inflammatory properties and thus helps in preventing arthritis and joint pain. Skin diseases like acne, rosacea, dermatitis, eczema, and psoriasis can be prevented by its consumption due to anti-inflammatory properties present in bromelain.
- Immunity can be increased by pineapple consumption. Vitamin-C present in it helps in fighting various microbial diseases.
- Minerals like potassium helps in controlling the blood pressure and heart rate.
- Copper plays a significant role as a co-factor in red blood cell synthesis.
- Gums are strengthened by the consumption of pineapple.
- Pineapples have antioxidant properties due to the presence of Vitamin-A and have been found to protect against lung and oral cancer.