Health Benefits of Pecans
Pecans are drupes and are part of the hickory family. Pecan trees are native to North and South American countries. These small cylindrical shaped fruits are found inside a hard shell and are known for their distinct and fatty taste. Pecans are generally eaten fresh. They can also be cooked and are used in various cuisines. Various desserts are prepared using pecans. Let’s have a look at the nutritional and health benefits of pecans.
Nutritional Benefits of Pecan
Pecan contains high amount of energy. 100 grams of its consumption provides around 700 calories. It is rich in carbohydrates and fats mainly MUFA and PUFA. It also provides omega-6 fatty acids and oleic acid. Pecans are loaded with vitamins and contains Vitamin-A, Vitamin-B, Vitamin-C, Vitamin-E and Vitamin-K. Calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, phosphorous and zinc are some of the minerals found in pecans.
Pecans are beneficial for Heart
Pecans are rich in plant sterols, oleic acid and omega-3 fatty acids. These compounds help in lowering bad cholesterol. They even help in reducing the oxidation of blood lipids due to the presence of Vitamin-E. Coronary artery diseases can be curbed due to the presence of phenolic antioxidants in it. It helps in removing blockage in the arteries and helps in efficient movement of blood. Most of the fat content in pecan is PUFA and MUFA, which are healthy fats.
Health Benefits of Pecans – Aid Digestion
Pecans are rich in dietary fibre. They help in clearing the intestinal tracts and keep the bowel movement efficient. Pecans thus improve the health of colon and reduce the occurrence of diseases like haemorrhoids and colitis.
Pecans are Anti-Inflammatory
Pecans are rich in magnesium which has anti-inflammatory properties. It helps in reducing inflammation causing agents like C – reactive proteins, tumour necrosis factor alpha and interleukin 6. Arthritis and other health ailments can be combated by it.
Pecans prevent Cancer
Pecans are rich in oleic acid and antioxidants like tocopherols. These compounds help in restricting the metabolism of cancer cells. Occurrence of breast cancer can be reduced by its consumption. Other antioxidants like ellagic acid, Vitamin E, beta-carotene, lutein and zea-xanthin aid in restricting the DNA binding of cancerous compounds like nitrosamines and polycyclic hydrocarbons.
Health Benefits of Pecans – For Bones and Teeth
Phosphorous present in pecans plays an integral part in the development and strengthening of bones and tissues.
Other Health Benefits Of Pecan
- Weight loss can be achieved by consuming pecan. It aids in increasing the rate of metabolism and dietary fibre in it keeps a person sated.
- Pecans are rich in potassium and magnesium which can aid in lowering blood pressure. Moreover, it contains zero amount of sodium.
- Pecan is rich in ellagic acid, vitamins and other antioxidants. It helps from the process of oxidation. Fine lines, pigmentation and dark spots can be prevented by its consumption.
- L-arginine, an amino acid is present in it which stimulates hair growth. It aids in improving blood flow and thus supports hair growth.
- Beta-sitosterol present in it can help in treating Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia.