Health Benefits of Peanut
Peanuts are delicious and crunchy beans which are consumed and loved by all. They are mostly confused to be a nut but as a matter of fact it belongs to the legume family. Peanuts are generally roasted, salted, boiled or eaten raw. Even peanut butter is widely used as a spread in sandwiches, energy bars and chocolates. Peanuts are frequently used for garnishing in various snacks and other bakery products. So let us have a look at the nutritional and health benefits of peanut.
Nutritional Benefits of Peanut
Peanuts are high energy and nutrition rich food. It provides 600 calories for 100 grams of its intake. It contains high amount of fats-mainly polyunsaturated and monounsaturated. Almost a quarter of it contains protein. It also provides vitamins and minerals like zinc, calcium, magnesium, iron and phosphorous.
Peanuts protect Heart
Peanuts are rich in monounsaturated fatty acids. These monounsaturated fatty acids help in reducing the bad cholesterol, prevent coronary heart diseases and improve blood lipid profile. It is also rich in anti-oxidants like oleic acid which aids in efficient blood flow and restricts the development of plaque and fat accumulation in the artery walls. This also helps in preventing clotting and hardening of artery walls. Beta-sitoserol commonly known as SIT reduces the absorption of cholesterol in the blood. Peanuts are rich in Vitamin-E, amino acids and resveratrol which reduce risk of various heart diseases and heart strokes. Resveratrol present in peanuts restrict the activity of angiotensin which compresses the blood vessels and elevates the blood pressure.
Health Benefits of Peanut – Peanuts prevents Cancer
Peanuts help in restricting the metabolism of cancer cells. It contains a lot of antioxidants such as oleic acid which inhibit the growth of tumours. It also has high concentrations of poly-phenolic antioxidants which prevents stomach cancer. It restricts stomach cancer by inhibiting the development of nitrosamines in the stomach. It also contains folic acid, phytosterols, phytic acid and resveratrol which have anti-cancer properties. Monounsaturated fatty acids have been found to delay the onset of breast cancer. Oleic acid in peanuts restricts HER-2/NEU which is a cancer causing oncogene. So a handful of peanuts can do loads of wonder to prevent cancer.
Peanuts enhance Memory
Peanut contains bioflavonoid which helps in improving the blood flow in the brain. It is high in niacin which aids in triggering the memory and increases brain activities. Vitamin-B2 present in peanuts has been found to maintain the cognitive functions and decreases the onset of diseases like Alzheimer’s. Nervous system remains active by the presence of resveratrol which helps in reducing degenerative nerve diseases. Riboflavin, thiamin, pantothenic acid, Vitamin B-6, and folates present in peanuts increases the flow of blood into the brain and play a vital role in improving its health.
Health Benefits of Peanut – Peanuts reduce Weight
Peanuts are high in calories and fats but it still reduces body weight. It contains healthy monounsaturated fatty acid which does not add weight. In fact they help in reducing the belly fat. It suppresses hunger and increases the metabolism rate.
Other Health Benefits of Peanut
- Peanuts are high in anti-oxidants making them beneficial for skin health. They protect against free radical exposure and oxidation processes. Skin cancer can be prevented by its consumption.
- Rich source of protein in the form of amino acids makes it helpful in the process of growth and development.
- Manganese is found in peanuts which breaks the glucose and increases the metabolism of carbohydrates in the body and regulates blood sugar.
- Peanuts are known to provide relaxation. It contains tryptophan which is a type of amino acid which plays a vital role in mood regulation and prevents stress and tension. Tryptophan helps in the production of a chemical known as serotonin which has anti-depressant properties.
- Folates present in peanuts helps in improving fertility in women.
- Rheumatoid arthritis can be prevented by its consumption as it reduces pain and stiffness.
- Many people suffer from peanut allergies and must restrict its consumption as it can be fatal if untreated. Peanut oil must not be consumed in excess as it leads to artery blockage.