Health Benefits of Onion
Any culinary dish would be incomplete without onions. Onions belong to the allium family and are extensively grown and consumed all over the world. The bulb and the leaves of this vegetable are quite commonly used. The bulb of onion can be distinguished by its pungent, strong smell. It is used in various sauces and as a key base ingredient in many hot curries. Onions are used in a range of fast foods, soups and salads. They are even pickled with vinegar and are deep fried as onion rings, which are popular delicacies. Onions have got high nutrition and food value. Let’s look at the nutritional and health benefits of onions.
Nutritional Health Benefits of Onions
Onion provides around 45 calories for 100 gram of its consumption. It constitutes a high percentage of water and is rich in carbohydrates and dietary fibre. It contains antioxidants like phenols and flavonoids. Vitamin-B and Vitamin-C are present in this vegetable. Minerals like iron, calcium, zinc, manganese and magnesium are also found in onions.
Onions are Heart Friendly
Onions are rich in antioxidants which can be beneficial for heart. They contain quercetin, which is a type of flavonoid. These compounds help in reducing the level of bad LDL cholesterol and can increase the HDL cholesterol level. Plaque formation in the arteries can be restricted and blood movement can be made efficient. It contains thiosulfinates, which help in preventing blood clots as they can aid in thinning the blood. Anti-inflammatory substance organosulfurs help in protecting the blood vessels. Heart strokes and other cardiovascular diseases can be prevented.
Onions can prevent Cancer
Onions are rich in anti-carcinogenic compounds. They contain flavonoids and phenols which aid in restricting the onset of cancer growth cells. Quercetin and anthocyanins found in onions suppress the growth of tumours and have anti-inflammatory properties. Fructo-oligosaccharides are found in onions which help in increasing the growth of good bacteria in the colon. This can prevent the onset of colon cancer. Ovarian and liver cancer can also be restricted by onions.
Onions restrict Respiratory Problems
Allicin is present in onions. It helps in fighting germs and other microbes. It also helps in enhancing the circulation by reducing thick mucus and congestion. Onions have a soothing and warming effect on the throat. Quercetins have anti-allergic properties and thus can help against cold and fever.
Onions prevent Diabetes
Onions are rich in chromium, which can help in regulating the blood sugar. It helps in making the insulin effective and more sensitive.
Other Health Benefits Of Onions
- Onions as Detoxifiers: Onions can aid in detoxifying the body. It contains various sulphur amino acids like methionine and cystine which can help in flushing harmful metals like mercury, cadmium and lead.
- Increases Haemoglobin: Onion is rich in iron which can be really helpful against anaemia. Red blood cells can be increased by its consumption.
- Enhances Digestion: Onions are rich in dietary fibre which can help in preventing constipation and can increase the efficiency of bowel movement. Fructan is a type of dietary fibre which gets converted into fatty acids. They act as natural laxatives and can help in efficient digestion.
- Nourishes Hair: Onions are rich in sulphur, which can promote hair health. Onion juice can be applied on the scalp and can be helpful in increasing the blood circulation.
- Onions for Bones: Growth plate chondrocytes are present in onion which helps in improving connective tissues and bone health. Osteoporosis can be prevented in women by consuming it.