Health Benefits of Kiwi
Kiwis are small berries which have dull brown appearance from outside and are vibrant green inside. It is a part of Actinidia family and is consumed worldwide. It has a unique sweet and zesty flavor which is refreshing. They are usually consumed raw and are also used to make deserts and other sweet dishes. Various mocktails and drinks use kiwi and its flavor for taste. Let us have a look at the nutritional and health benefits of kiwi.
Nutritional Benefits of Kiwi
Kiwis are highly nutritious fruits. It provides around 60 calories for 100 gram of its consumption. Kiwifruit is rich in carbohydrates and dietary fibre. It also contains traces of protein and fats. Various vitamins are present in it namely Vitamin-B, Vitamin-C, Vitamin-E and Vitamin-K. Kiwifruit also contains a variety of minerals like iron, magnesium, potassium, zinc, sodium and phosphorous.
Kiwis are beneficial For Digestion
Kiwi is a major source of Vitamin-C which directly makes it stomach friendly. Vitamin-C helps in releasing powerful digestive enzymes and juices which can easily breakdown the food and can aid in its disintegration. It contains an enzyme called actinidin which helps in quicker segregation of protein particles and its digestion. Kiwifruit is even rich in dietary fibre. These fibres help in accumulating and binding the food properly and thus aid smooth bowel movement. Kiwis are recommended after meal when a person is suffering from bloating and flatulence.
Kiwi helps in protecting DNA
Kiwi is rich in flavonoids and carotenoids which aid in preventing oxygen related damage in the DNA. The antioxidant properties of kiwifruit are known to play a significant role in protecting the DNA.
Kiwifruit is Heart Friendly
Kiwifruits are high in antioxidants and can reduce triglyceride level. Even blood clotting and blood thinning can be achieved by its consumption. It aids in developing atherosclerotic vascular plaques. It is rich in Vitamin-C and Vitamin-E which helps in reducing bad LDL cholesterol and raises good cholesterol. Kiwis also contain fibre and potassium which are associated with lowering of LDL cholesterol.
Kiwis restrict Macular Degeneration
Age related macular degeneration can be inhibited by the consumption of kiwifruit. They are rich in antioxidants. Carotenoids namely lutein and zeaxanthin accumulate in the retina of the eyes and thus prevent this disease. They are also powerful antioxidants and restrict oxidative damage in the macula of the eye and inhibit the oxidative stresses on the eye tissue from harmful UV- lights.
Other Health Benefits Of Kiwi
- Kiwi for great Skin: Kiwi is rich in antioxidants, Vitamin-C and Vitamin-E. These nutrients help in preventing oxidative damages to the skin. Skin aging and wrinkles can be prohibited by consuming this fruit. Skin blemishes and pigmentation can also be delayed.
- Kiwi for Immunity: Health benefits of Kiwi includes increasing the immunity of a person. It is anti-inflammatory and also reduces stress. It contains folates which prevents neural defect in newborns. Vitamin-C helps in fighting various pathogens from entering and helps in shielding many diseases.
- Kiwi prevents Asthma: Asthma can be prevented by its consumption due to the high concentration of Vitamin-C present in it.
- Kiwi lowers Blood Pressure: Potassium rich kiwifruit can be eaten to lower the blood pressure level as it balances the amount of sodium in the body.
- Kiwi for Diabetics: Diabetic people can consume kiwifruit as it has low glycemic index.
NOTE: People allergic to actinidain and calcium oxalate must not consume this fruit as it can be harmful for their health.