Health Benefits of Figs
Figs are fruits and are part of the Moraceae family. Mildly sweet in taste, figs are known for their crunchy and smooth texture derived due to the presence of seeds. These fruits are mainly produced in Middle Eastern and Asian countries. Figs can be consumed fresh or dried. They are commonly used for the preparation of jams and jellies. Various cookies and other culinary use figs to obtain their distinct smell and taste. Let’s look at the various nutritional and health benefits of figs.
Nutritional Benefits of Fig
Fig contains an adequate amount of energy. It provides 250 calories for 100 grams of its consumption. It primarily contains carbohydrates and is a rich source of calcium and dietary fibre. Vitamins like Vitamin-B complex, Vitamin-C and Vitamin-K are present in it. Iron, magnesium, potassium and phosphorous are some of the minerals found in figs. Various kinds of anti-oxidants are also present in it.
Figs prevent Cancer
Figs are loaded with antioxidants. They contain phenols and flavonoids like catechin, rutin, chlorogenic acid which can restrict the metabolism of carcinogenic cells. They help from the harmful effects of free radicals in the body. Figs are also rich in dietary fibre which has shown significant reduction in the chances of onset of breast and colon cancer.
Health Benefits of Figs – Improve Skin
Figs contain a high percentage of vitamins. Vitamin-C and Vitamin-B help in nourishing and rejuvenating the skin. Figs are a good source of flavonoids and phenols which protect skin cells from the process of oxidation due to free radicals. Figs also have anti-inflammatory properties and can be consumed to reduce pimples and boils. Figs mixed with honey can be used as a face pack. Presence of omega-3 fatty acids can make it a good moisturizer.
Figs lower Cholesterol
Coronary heart diseases can be reduced by consuming figs. They are rich in pectin, which is a soluble dietary fibre. It aids in the absorption of cholesterol and flushes it out without affecting the body. It is rich in antioxidants and fatty acids. Fig leaves can be consumed to reduce the level of triglyceride.
Figs are Healthy for Diabetics
Consumption of fig leaves is found to be beneficial for diabetics. It helps in reducing the requirement of insulin to stabilize the blood sugar. Even the presence of potassium in it helps in monitoring the level of glucose and helps in reducing the chances of sugar spikes.
Other Health Benefits Of Figs
- Figs are rich in carotenoids. They are helpful against age related macular degeneration.
- Hypertension and blood pressure can be reduced by its consumption. It is significantly high in potassium when compared to sodium and thus can help in enhancing mood.
- Fig leaf tea is recommended when a person suffers from bronchitis and asthma. It is rich in vitamins and minerals and thus can help in providing a soothing effect. Sore throats can be treated due to the high amount of mucilage.
- Figs contain a high amount of calcium and thus can aid in the development and strengthening of healthy bones. Phosphorous is another mineral found in them which can assist in regeneration of damaged or bruised bones.
- High amount of dietary fibre can help in relieving digestive problems like constipation.