Health Benefits of Dates
Dates are sweet and juicy fruits. Their mouth watering taste and succulent texture make them a favorite among all generations. Many varieties of dates are found providing different choices to the consumers. Dates are generally eaten raw or used in a variety of recipes of chocolates, cakes, brownies and drinks. They are often used in salads and even for garnishing. So let us find out what it has in store – the nutritional and health benefits of dates.
Nutritional Benefits of Dates
Dates are a rich source of carbohydrates and provide around 280 calories for 100 grams of its consumption. It is rich in potassium and also contains protein and fibre. Various vitamins namely Vitamin-A, B, C, E and K are present in it. Dates are a good source of minerals. Boron, Cobalt, Copper, Fluorine, Magnesium, Potassium, Iron, Manganese, Selenium, and Zinc are a few minerals found in dates.
Dates enhance Digestion and prevent Constipation
Dates are rich in fibre. High fibre content in dates make them beneficial in making bowel movement efficient. It helps in cleaning gastrointestinal system and improves colon performance. It contains both soluble and insoluble fibre which increases its laxative effect. It is considered most effective when soaked overnight and consumed in the morning like syrup. Dates contain beta-D-glucan which is effective in fighting constipation. Fibre in dates have the capacity to retain water thus making the stool soft. Dates even prevent diarrhea as it is rich in potassium.
Health Benefits of Dates – Protect Heart
Dates are low in sodium and fats which instantly make them heart friendly. They improve the lipid profile in the blood. High fibre content helps in decreasing LDL cholesterol from the blood as it absorbs cholesterol. Triglyceride level is also decreased by its consumption. Dates restrict the amount of oxidation of fats in the blood which reduces the accumulation of plaque in the artery walls. Dates are a source of potassium which helps in reducing heart strokes.
Dates provide Instant Energy
Dates are a source of carbohydrates and are rich in sucrose, fructose and glucose. They get easily broken and help in increasing the energy level. It is high in calories and nutrients which are beneficial when a person lacks energy. It is also rich in phytonutrients which aids in improving strength and stamina.
Dates prevent Cancer
Dates restricts metabolism of cancer cells. They are high in antioxidants which protect from free radicals and the process of oxidation in the body. Dates are also rich in flavonoids such as beta-carotene, lutein, and zea-xanthin which have anti-cancer properties. Breast cancer, colon, prostate, abdominal, endometrial, lung, and pancreatic cancer can be treated by its consumption.
Health Benefits of Dates – Anti-Inflammatory Properties
Dates contain flavonoid polyphenolic antioxidants known as tannins that help in reducing inflammation. They reduce atherosclerosis and rheumatoid arthritis. They are rich in magnesium which decreases C-reactive protein, interleukin 6 and tumor necrosis factor alpha which are inflammatory indicators.
Other Health Benefits Of Dates
- Dates lower blood pressure as they are rich in potassium and it balances the effect of sodium in the body. It even controls fluid in the body. Higher the fluid, higher will be the blood pressure.
- Dates are rich in Vitamin-B complex which boosts memory and brain efficiency. It is a rich source of fibre which slows down the absorption of carbohydrates that helps in proper functioning of brain. They reduce the occurrence of diseases like Alzheimer’s.
- Vitamin rich food helps in providing healthy vision. Dates are a source of Vitamin-A which decreases macular degeneration in old people and restricts night blindness.
- Dates contain high quantity of iron which helps in increasing haemoglobin in blood.
- Dates are alkaline in nature and can reduce acidity.
- Calcium content is high in dates which help in making bones and teeth stronger and healthier. Osteoporosis can be prevented in women by its intake.
Try this delicious Date Pumpkin Muffins recipe