Health Benefits of Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is obtained from coconut and is a primary source of fats. Coming with loads of health benefits, it is used in cooking and medicines. It is used in various curries, sweets and snacks. Coconut oil is also beneficial for digestion, skin, hair and immunity. Let us look at the various nutritional and health benefits of coconut oil.
Nutritional Value of Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is a major source of fats. It is quite high in energy, providing around 900 calories for 100 grams of its serving. Coconut oil contains a high quantity of saturated fats. Along with lauric acid and monounsaturated fats, it also provides traces of Vitamin-E, Vitamin-D and iron.
Coconut Oil for Healthy Hair
Coconut oil is very beneficial for hair. It helps in keeping away dry scalp and dandruff. Coconut oil provides various nutrients to hair and makes them thick, lustrous and healthy. It can be used as a conditioner to increase the hair growth and protects hair from the damages caused by hygral fatigue. They also help in reducing protein losses in the hair. Best results can be achieved when it is applied before washing hair. Coconut oil has been found to repel water, so it inhibits the penetration of water into the scalp thus protecting from various damages.
Health Benefits of Coconut Oil – Protects and Nourishes Skin
Coconut oil acts as a natural moisturizer It can be applied on the body to prevent from skin damage and dryness. Regular massages helps in the reduction of wrinkles, skin pigments and skin aging. Massaging of it helps in direct diffusion of oil into the body and connective tissues which prevents wrinkles and makes the tissues strong. They help against free radicals and makes skin look glossy and youthful.
Coconut oil has been found to be beneficial against various skin diseases. It aids in curing diseases like dermatitis, eczema, psoriasis and other dermatological problems.
Coconut Oil protects Heart
Although a rich source of saturated fats, coconut helps in making heart healthy. Coconut oil contains a high amount of lauric acid which helps in curbing LDL cholesterol and high blood pressure. Coconut oil consists of small and medium chain fatty acids. These fatty acids do not increase cholesterol level and in fact lowers heart related diseases. Coconut oil also helps in maintaining proper functioning of thyroid and protects arteries from atherosclerosis. It also aids in increasing HDL cholesterol.
Health Benefits of Coconut Oil – Increases Immunity
Coconut provides various nutrients like lauric acid, capric acid and caprylic acid. They are known to have anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties which fight against various microorganisms from entering our body. Lauric acid gets converted into monolaurin in the body which fights against various bacterial and viral diseases like influenza, measles, herpes and even AIDS. They even have anti-cancer properties and are found to decrease the tumor size.
Coconut Oil prevents Diabetes
Coconut oil helps in proper secretion of insulin in the pancreas. It aids in controlling the blood sugar level and utilizes the glucose efficiently. Coconut oil helps in slowing down the process of digestion. This results in proper and efficient stream of energy flow in the body. It also has a low glycaemic index and the process of glucose breakage is also slow and steady. It also helps in increasing the metabolism rate which can trigger the insulin process.
Other Health Benefits of Coconut Oil
- Coconut oil massage helps in relieving stress and tension. It can help in reducing mental fatigue and induces sleep.
- Coconut oil helps in the absorption of calcium. It helps in making teeth and bones strong. Tooth decay can be avoided by consuming coconut oil.
- It helps in proper functioning of kidney and gall bladder. It also reduces the chances of formation of kidney stones.
- Abdominal fat can be reduced by coconut oil consumption. Coconut oil contains medium chain triglycerides. Breaking these fats consumes a lot of energy thereby lowering body fats.
- Liver functioning becomes efficient by its consumption. Medium chain triglycerides help in maintaining the liver active.
- Health benefits of coconut oil includes improving digestion. Coconut Oil is anti-bacterial and helps in maintaining the digestive tract away from microorganisms. Medium-chain triglycerides in coconut oil has various anti-microbial benefits and thus protects digestive organs.