Health Benefits of Celery
Celery is a green leafy vegetable, which belongs to the apiaceae family. The stalk of celery is most commonly consumed. It is known as a crunchy, low calorie food. It is loaded with nutrients and packed with water. The stalk can be boiled, steamed or eaten raw. The leaves of celery are used for seasoning in soups, curries, broths and soups. Its seeds contain volatile oils and are used in various medicines. So, let’s have a look at the nutritional and health benefits of celery.
Nutritional Benefits of Celery
Celery is a very low calorie food. It provides only 16 calories for 100 grams of its consumption. 95% of it contains water. It contains carbohydrate, dietary fibre along with traces of fat and protein. It is rich in vitamins and provides Vitamin-A, Vitamin-B, Vitamin-C, Vitamin-E and Vitamin-K. Calcium, potassium, sodium and phosphorous are some of the minerals found in celery.
Celery prevents Cancer
Celery contains flavonoids. Luteolin is a kind of flavonoid which restricts the growth of cancer cells. Phenolic acid aids in restricting prostaglandins, which can prevent the metabolism of carcinogenic cells. Coumarin is a kind of phytochemical present in it, which can inhibit the onset of colon and stomach cancer.
Celery can do wonders to your Heart
Celery is loaded with antioxidants and ant- inflammatory compounds. Phenolic acids, flavones and flavonols aid in lowering the bad cholesterol and blood pressure. It aids in relaxing the blood vessels, thus lowering blood pressure. Butyl phthalide is a compound in celery which can significantly lower LDL cholesterol.
Celery for Weight Loss
Celery is loaded with water and dietary fibre. These are the two compounds which can keep a person sated. Moreover, it is loaded with nutrients and provides only few calories. It can be consumed in salads or can be munched as a snack to combat weight gain.
Health Benefits of Celery – Lowers Blood Pressure
Phthalides aid in relaxing the arteries and eases the flow of blood. They also decrease the stress hormones, which can shrink blood vessels. They aid in easing the flow of blood through the body. Even potassium is present in higher amount compared to sodium, thus balancing electrolytes in the body.
Boosts Sex Life
Celery contains two pheromones, androstenone and androstenol. These compounds can aid in boosting the libido. Chewing celery can aid in releasing these compounds.
Celery for Women
Celery is beneficial for women. It contains oestrogenic phytochemical anethole. It aids in reducing hot flashes long with reducing menstrual problems.
Other Health Benefits Of Celery
- Celery acts as a coolant. It can be termed as a summer delicacy. It is rich in water and vitamin-c, and thus can ward off heat.
- It has laxative properties due to the presence of dietary fibre. It can be consumed when suffering from constipation.
- Celery is rich in anti-inflammatory properties. Polyacetylene in it can help prevent arthritis, gout, bronchitis and asthma.
- It has diuretic properties and is also helpful in removing toxins from the kidney. Kidney and gall bladder stones can be inhibited by its consumption.
- Celery juice can aid in inducing sleep. It has essential oils and minerals that provide relaxing effect to the nerves and can keep stress at bay.