Health Benefits of Cauliflower
Cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable and is a part of the brassicaceae family. Its florets are usually consumed, though the leaves and stems can also be eaten. Cauliflower is usually boiled, steamed, grilled for use in various cuisines. Found in various sizes and colors like white, orange and purple; cauliflower has loads of benefits to offer. Let’s have a look at the health benefits of cauliflower.
Nutritional Benefits of Cauliflower
Cauliflower is a low energy vegetable. It provides only around 30 calories for 100 grams of its consumption. Almost 90% of it contains water. It is rich in carbohydrates and dietary fibre. Vitamins like Vitamin-B, Vitamin-C, Vitamin-E and Vitamin-K are present in it. Iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium, sodium are the few minerals found in cauliflower.
Cauliflower prevents Cancer
Cauliflower contains glocosinolates which has sulphur. They are known to be helpful against cancer as they inhibit the growth of carcinogenic cells. Cauliflower is also rich in antioxidants like kaempferol, ferulic acid, cinnamic acid and caffeic acid. These antioxidants help in restricting the process of oxidation due to free radicals. Lung, breast and bladder cancer can be combated by it.
Cauliflower is Anti-Inflammatory
Cauliflower has anti-inflammatory properties. It is due to the presence of glocosinolates and isothiocyanates. It also contains Vitamin-K and omega-3 fatty acids. It can help in reducing swelling and diseases like arthritis and bowel diseases.
Cauliflower aids Digestion
Cauliflower is rich in dietary fibre, glucoraphanin and sulforaphane. These compounds help in protecting the lining of stomach and prevent growth of harmful bacteria.
Cauliflower for Skin
Cauliflower is rich in antioxidants and Vitamin-C. These are really beneficial for the skin. They can help prevent free radicals, thus preventing wrinkles and pigmentation. Vitamin-C can also help in making the skin look radiant and young.
Other Health Benefits of Cauliflower
- Cauliflower is rich in Vitamin-K which plays an important role in the development of bone cells. It also helps in decreasing the amount of bleeding during injuries as it helps in the coagulation of the blood.
- Cauliflower is recommended for pregnant women as it is rich in folates and vitamins A and B. It can aid in the development of healthy foetus.
- Cauliflower has anti-inflammatory properties thus can keep the blood vessel flexible and efficient. Sulforaphane even helps in reversing blood vessel damage. It also contains allicin which can reduce the chances of strokes and heart attacks.
- It can be consumed to increase immunity. Selenium present in it can prevent various viral diseases, cold and other skin related problems. Manganese can aid in activating and forming enzymes. It also contains phosphorous that can strengthen bones.
- Cauliflower can help in preventing common cold due to high content of Vitamin-C. It can be boiled and consumed as a stew to achieve a warming effect.
- It can aid in weight loss as it provides few calories but loads of nutrients. Moreover dietary fibre in it can keep a person sated.