Brazil nuts are edible seeds which are grown extensively in Latin American countries. They are a part of the Lecythidaceae family. Brazil nuts have a rich and creamy flavor. They are dark brown in color and are found inside a thick shell. They can be consumed raw and can also be used in the preparation of ice-creams, cookies and cakes. Brazil nuts are significantly nutritious. So, let’s have a look at the various health benefits of Brazil nuts.
Health Benefits of Brazil nuts
Nutritional Benefits of Brazil nut
Brazil nuts are high in calories. They provide around 650 calories for 100 grams of their consumption. Brazil nut is rich in carbohydrates and fats. It contains high amount of pufa, mufa and saturated fats. Protein and vitamins like Vitamin-B, Vitamin-C and Vitamin-E are present in it. Calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, selenium, zinc are some of the minerals in Brazil nuts.
Brazil Nuts prevent Cancer
Brazil nuts are rich in selenium. Selenium helps in triggering various antioxidants like glutathione peroxidise and thioredoxin reductase. Antioxidants help in restricting the growth of cancer cells. Selenium consumption has been linked with reduction in onset of prostate and breast cancer. Glutathione also aids in restricting the body from harmful free radicals.
Brazil Nuts for Heart
Brazil nut contains omega-6 fatty acids in significant amount which can lower the risk of cardiovascular diseases. It is even rich in monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, which lower the level of cholesterol, and thereby reduce the risk for heart attacks and strokes. MUFA like oleic acid and palmitoleic acid aid in lowering the bad LDL cholesterol and also increase the level of HDL cholesterol. They help in lowering the chances of coronary artery diseases.
Brazil Nuts treat Hypothyroidism
Brazil nuts are rich in selenium. They have anti-inflammatory properties and thus reduce damage to thyroid tissues. Hydrogen peroxide and lipid hydroperoxides are reduced by selenium intake, which are produced during thyroid hormone synthesis.
Brazil Nuts keep Sperms healthy
Unhealthy sperms can alter DNA inside the cell and can increase birth defects. Brazil nuts contain selenium, which is known to be helpful in keeping healthy sperm quality. Even Vitamin-E present in it keeps away the free radical damages from sperm cells.
Other Health Benefits of Brazil Nut
- Brazil nuts are rich in protein and contain all kinds of amino acids. Amino acids are required for muscle tissue repair and growth.
- Vitamin-E helps in the protection of cell membrane. It also acts as an antioxidant and protects the skin from free radicals.
- Thiamine present in Brazil nuts is an essential mineral which is needed to provide a healthy nervous system. It even aids in metabolising energy along with magnesium and phosphorous. Zinc is another mineral in Brazil nut, which can help in boosting the immunity of the body.
- High amount of dietary fibre can help in digestion. It aids in proper bowel movement and can prevent constipation.
- Brazil nut is an excellent source of Vitamin-B complexes like riboflavin, niacin, thiamine, pantothenic acid. They act as co-factors for enzyme during the production of cellular substrate.